homeelectionsmarriage licensedomestic partnershipdog licenseparade permitdnrloggingother

La Crosse County Clerk


La Crosse County
Administrative Center

212 6th Street N - Rm 1500
La Crosse, WI 54601

fax: 608-785-9741
Email: County Clerk Office

Mon-Fri: 8 AM - 4:30 PM
Marriage License

If you are already married and want a certified copy of your marriage license, please contact the Register of Deeds office in the county in which the marriage occurred.


Marriage applications are done by appointment only.  The applicants must call for an appoint and must apply together. The completed license and application must be signed by both applicants in the office of the County Clerk.

A Wisconsin resident who will be getting married in Wisconsin must apply for the license at the County Clerk's office in the county where she or he has been living for the past 30 days. This license will be valid anywhere in the State of Wisconsin. If getting married in Wisconsin, but NEITHER applicants have lived in Wisconsin for the past 30 days, she or he must apply for the license in the County Clerk's office in the county where the wedding will take place. If the couple must apply in another county, please contact the appropriate County Clerk's Office.

There is a mandatory five-day waiting period, which starts the day AFTER you apply, before a marriage license can be issued. Therefore, if you applied on the 1st day of the month, the license cannot be issued until the 6th day of the month. If the issuance day falls on a weekend or a holiday when we are not open, it will be issued the following Monday or the first working day after the holiday. Therefore, a license applied for on a Monday would not be valid until the following Monday. The license is valid for 30 days after the issuance date, and the official ceremony must take place during those 30 days. Feel free to call us with the wedding date for the available application period.

The applicants must be 16 years of age to marry in Wisconsin. Applicants under 18 years of age must have the written consent of both parents, the guardian, the custodian as defined by law, or the parent having the legal care, custody and control of the applicant. The written consent must be given before the county clerk under oath, or certified in writing and verified by affidavit before a notary public or other official authorized to take affidavits.

All applicants, regardless of age, are required to present an un-expired photo ID and a **CERTIFIED Birth Certificate**. This is the signed copy of the birth certificate which bears the raised County or State Seal and is issued from the Register of Deeds or Recorder in the County of birth or from the Office of Vital Statistics in the State of birth. [S.S. 765.09(3)] If the Birth Certificate is in a foreign language, a notarized English translation must be provided – NO EXCEPTIONS. Translations from family or friends are not acceptable.

Birth Certificate Translation Form

** A birth notification (no raised seal or signature) is not acceptable nor is the one that a hospital issues with footprints, even though it may have a decorative hospital seal. These are birth announcements only and cannot be accepted.

It is illegal to make a photo-copy of any vital record (birth, death, marriage or divorce certificate). Such violation may be subject to a $10,000 fine. If we are presented with an illegal photo-copy, we are required to confiscate it.

PROOF OF ADDRESS: Proof of current address is also required. The current address is where the applicants have physically lived 30 days prior to the date of applying. A post office box is not acceptable. If the address on the driver's license or ID card is not current, a signed lease, recently dated utility bill, paystub, bank statement or government issued piece of mail may also be acceptable.

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Each applicant must provide his or her Social Security number in order to be issued a marriage license, if they have been issued one. It is not required that we see the social security card.

PREVIOUS MARRIAGE: If either of the applicants have been married before, and the last marriage ended in death, we must see the certified death certificate. If the last marriage ended in divorce, we must see a copy of the final divorce judgment. This is sometimes referred to as the divorce decree and it must be signed by the judge. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE. A 6-month waiting period must have elapsed since the divorce was granted before a marriage license can be issued. If these documents are in a foreign language, a notarized English translation must be provided – NO EXCEPTIONS. Translations from family or friends are not acceptable.

Death Certificate Translation Form

Divorce Translation Form

The cost of a marriage license in La Crosse County is $90.00, payable at the time of application. This must be paid in cash; we cannot accept checks or credit cards.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION --------------------------------------------------------------------------

  1. The date of the wedding
  2. The officiant's name, address & phone number. (If you are looking for a judge or court commissioner to perform the ceremony, click here for a list of La Crosse area officiants.)
  3. The County and Municipality where the wedding will take place.
The County & Municipality in which each resides. Race, number of previous marriages, and last completed grade of education.

The full legal name of the applicant's parents: first, middle and last name at birth (often referred to as surname or maiden name).

DISCLAIMER: This information may not address every possible circumstance.

If you have any further questions, please contact our office by email at [email protected] or phone at 608-785-9581.